How to remember...

This won’t be a sermon. I just want to share a little story that always makes me laugh (at myself)..Well, in person I am so calm, cool and collected, one would never guess. But secretly, in my heart of hearts, I am a secretive kind of person..

One night several months ago, the kids were asleep (my dogs), I was alone at home, and I was feeling sorry for myself. No, don’t idealize me.. That is NOT the last time I felt sorry for myself.. It’s just that it left a lasting impression. So I decided to have a glass of wine and then I switched on the TV.. Flipping through the channels, there was a song on MTV about lost love. Well, that fit the mood and I stayed there, and poured another glass of wine. I decided to get drunk and have a good cry about everything that had gone wrong with my life..and actually I don't cry that much..(I guess..hehe)

Then I’m not exactly sure what happened. Was it an out-of-body experience? In any case, I rose above myself and saw the situation. And it made me crack up. This is not as easy to describe as I’d imagined... You see, I have decided to let myself go and simply feel the feelings, drown in self-pity (and wine) and feel the sadness in every cell of my body... The funny thing is, it didn’t last very long, because I started to laugh. It was just too perfect like in some kind of movies. The poor, suffering hero abandoned and lonely..I guess that was the typical me...

As usual, there is actually a point to all of this. By simply letting go and daring to be miserable..in fact, not only daring, but really getting into the situation, it wasn’t nearly as intense as I’d feared.. Life goes on.. Sure, it can go the other way, but I believe self-pity has to do with taking one’s self rather seriously until we find something better to do.. So next time you feel sorry for yourself...Exaggerate!! Don’t be ashamed, just go for it.. It won’t last nearly as long as if you try to fight it..After my second glass of wine, I went to bed. I saw through myself and realized that if millions of people had bought those sad love songs, then I definitely wasn’t alone..It’s just part of life, I guess.

In a sense, this is just a simple example of letting go..Rather than fighting indefinitely against some uncomfortable feeling, I just surrendered. And it was over before I knew it! I’m not saying it will always be funny.. Sometimes it’s about more than self pity, but even then it is manageable..There may be a time when I drink a whole bottle of wine. But the point is, to simply let go and allow feelings to come to the surface is often much less worse than we think..If I had tried to drown the feelings, I probably would have needed two bottles of wine, as opposed to two glasses. But this was about accepting and enhancing the feelings. That’s quite different from drowning them..Anyway, being an employee myself, the thought of how I’ll feel the next day generally prevents me from drinking too much. It’s just not worth it.. So, dear reader, to truly surrender to the feelings you don’t need to get drunk (or eat..I eat a lot when I'm depressed)

something for you to ponder...

How to remember

So many times have run from the pain,
but it plagues me again and again and again.
To try to forget is the best way to remember

5 comments:

  1. ReNo said...
     

    agree with Alus...mannnn, life is a journey. For some people, they believe their life is already 'planned' by God (sudah ditakdirkan?) and they just accept everything without complaint. But for some reasons, I think we should and must enjoy it rather than just following the path...Do whatever you wanna do...wherever you wanna go...if something goes wrong somewhere, learn from it then ignore or forget it...haha that what i do. :P

  2. XiGorX said...
     

    well, sama ja kita ni bro..sa pun begitu juga..I don't actually indulge myself in things like this, but sometimes it gets too rough, even the toughest man would fall down and crack up..hehehe..thanks bro..respect it..

  3. Unknown said...
     

    i agree with Reno!!
    We learn from our mistakes.. that makes us stronger n wiser..
    Nobody in this world is damn perfect!!
    i've made mistakes in my life. Wish i could turn back the time but then.. i can't..so life goes on..
    Sometimes u just need to let go..cried till u cant cried anymore..
    Enjoy urlife..do things that u wanna do..like me.. i pierced my tongue which i tot "sakit la mau mati"..but its not..sakit lagi kena pierced tu telinga.. hehehehe..
    Next is tattoo..coming soon.. waiting for my gf to come back..

  4. XiGorX said...
     

    alright...ada org mau buat tattoo sudah..hehehe..cool..thanks for ur advice...

  5. Unknown said...
     

    hahaha.. i think dats wat in my wish list i think.. tatts..
    cos i tot piercing my tongue will be last one but then...ive to try tatts oso kan.. lalalala

Post a Comment