Teaching is not easy....

Well, by now you should already know that I teach college students..and there's nothing to be proud of..Really..I've been saying this over and over again that, teaching wasn't in my options when I was growing up..But, anyway..Now, I'm doing it for my living..(and I don't quite like it..)..Who says teaching is easy? If there's anyone out there (teachers preferably) who can say it straight to my face..then, lets start a long debate over the issue..To come up front, and deliver your lessons would be easy though, but the hardest part is to make them really understand and remember what you have taught them..

I was having my Recreation Toursim class today, one of favourite subjects to teach..(because it's all about common sense)..My class was at 2.30 pm..Having a class at this hour is a total challenge for me..First, I myself is sleepy, and the students are more sleepy and restless, all they want to do is to end the class..Anyway, I came early to the classroom, and there were only half of the students who were in..So, I waited for a while for them to come, but..after 15mins, they were still not in yet..I locked up the door and started teaching..30mins later, the five boys came knocing on the door..but, I pretended that I didn't hear anything..The knockings became louder and I couldn't help myself from being annoyed, irritated and angry..I opened the door let them sit..Trying to act my cool..then, i heard someone said.."alah, sejak bila pulak dia pandai kunci2 pintu ni?"..Damn!! I felt challenged..I looked at the student, and said to him.."Get out of my class, and I really mean it.."..Everyone was shocked, even me..coz, I have only done this once..long time ago..He sat there staring at me like stone..This guy always comes in late, and he never bring anything..Empty handed..I told him to get out of the class and come back when he thinks he could behave more next time..The rest of the students don't even dare to look at me..

Teaching private college students is not an easy task..This is not primary school or secondary school..these are young adults and supposed to be more mature and easy to handle..Ya, I know, most of them come from rich families, but it doesn't mean, they can do anything they want..If they want to learn, then be good students..I think that guy had learnt his lesson, hopefully he would change and be more responsible next time..If you think, I could not be strict, then try me...Emmm...

The essence of teaching, then, is to help students acquire an “I’m better than that” attitude that can convert “I am not” into “I am,” “I can’t” into “I can,” “I don’t” into “I do,” “don’t want to” into “I want to,” “I won’t” into “I will,” “it’s impossible” into “it’s possible,” “I hate” into “I love,” and “I don’t believe” into “I believe.” It is our mission to help them tap their inner power to look at themselves and things around them differently, to be whatever they want to be, and to become the persons they are capable of becoming...and this is a big challenge that I'm not sure I could afford to tackle..

Now, who says teaching is easy..????

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    WOWWW......Cikgu garang laaaa...mesti ala2 sigu disiplin ni kan

  2. XiGorX said...
     

    nda la..tu yg ala2 datang bulan ja tu..hehe

  3. Anonymous said...
     

    wahhh dtg bulan...'sediakan tuala sebelum kebulan' hahahahahhaha

Post a Comment