...I'm a teacher...



I have never thought, or even imagine that I would someday be a teacher or a lecturer..all I can remember saying was, I wanna be a doctor, I wanna be a policeman, or fireman..but, not a teacher...and, I did say, I wanna be a garbage collector..hah!!that was in jester..Well, my long time ambition of being those mentioned above has long gone..I could never be..At least, in my own capacity now..I am not going to be a doctor, not a policeman, not a fireman..but...maybe, someday be a garbage collector..hehehe..kidding..

A year ago, I was a new lecturer in Asian Tourism Institution. A 26 years old lecturer without any professional teaching experience. Of course I was freaking nervous, and I could swear, I almost fainted as I was walking to the class room for my first class..I managed to say my first greeting of 'hi', even though it sounded more like a whisper..I wanted to bring new experience to the classroom with whatever knowledge I have about the industry..Well, I was nervous, terrified but i was enthusiastic..

The second and third semester were easier. Less terrifying because I knew what to expect. I knew ATI's policies, grading procedures, discipline patterns, hallways, and staff. I knew a lot of students, and knew a lot about our student demographics. I'm being more confident and more enthusiastic..Now I understand, a teacher does not only teach, but he needs to make the students understand, and sometimes, I think..that is one of the most challenging part being an educator..They might say, "Yes sir, I understand.."..that means..'stop asking me any question'..well, that's easy to tell..and I am becoming better in analyzing their facial expressions or the tone in their voice..

As an educator of college students, I believe that they have the capacity to learn useful information from their texts, their teachers and most importantly their peers. Students generate this knowledge through exploration and it is my responsibility as a teacher to foster this exploration..Even though, since last semester the students are expected to be more resourceful, as the Management requires them to find the own notes, or get it from any other sources..we, as tghe lecturers, we only provide them with very minimum handouts..I think, its not a good idea though, that's why..My students have their notes sent to their email addresses..

In my classroom, every student has the right to learn, the right to be heard and the right to make mistakes. It is my responsibility to guide them through their exploration leading them in the right direction..I might not be the best role model, but, I'm sure, my students will listen to me..and it has been proven..I might not be an educator for the rest of my life, but..as long as I am a teacher, I will carry out my duty with responsibility..

Teaching affords me constant opportunities to impact the lives of others. It is my personal responsibility as a teacher to provide students with the most positive learning experience possible. Everyone has his/her individual needs, they deserve the opportunity to succeed.

2 comments:

  1. Justin Gildarts Joe said...
     

    have u forgotten that a teacher is like a 'lilin'...

  2. XiGorX said...
     

    emm..ya..tapi, buli ka kalau sa mau jadi 'spotlight..'? hehehe

Post a Comment